See also MonitorMyOcean.com for acoustic data compilation for 8 sites over the COVID-19 pandemic period.
Peer-reviewed Papers on the Effects of the COVID 19 Pandemic on Ocean Sound
- Robinson, S., P. Harris, S.‑H. Cheong, L. Wang, V. Livina, G. Haralabus, M. Zampolli and P. Nielsen. 2023. Impact of the COVID‑19 pandemic on levels of deep‑ocean acoustic noise. Scientific Reports 13:4631, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-023-31376-3
- Petrizzo, A. et al. 2023. First assessment of underwater sound levels in the Northern Adriatic Sea at the basin scale. Scientific Data 10:137, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41597-023-02033-1
- Stevens, P.E., V. Allen, and J.N. Bruck. 2023. A Quieter Ocean: Experimentally Derived Differences in Attentive Responses of Tursiops truncatus to Anthropogenic Noise Playbacks before and during the COVID-19-Related Anthropause. Animals 13: 1269, https://doi.org/10.3390/ani13071269
Chahouri, A., N. Elouahmani, and H. Ouchene. 2022. Recent progress in marine noise pollution: A thorough review. Chemosphere 291(2):132983, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2021.132983
Jalkanen, J.-P., L. Johansson, M.H. Andersson, E. Majamäki, E., and P. Sigray. 2022. Underwater noise emissions from ships during 2014–2020, Environmental Pollution doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2022.119766.
Miksis-Olds, J.L. B.S. Martin, K. Lowell, C. Verlinden, and K.D. Heaney. 2022. Minimal COVID-19 quieting measured in the deep offshore waters of the U.S. Outer Continental Shelf. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America Express Letters. 2(9):090801, https://doi.org/10.1121/10.0013999.
Smith, K.B., P Leary, T. Deal, J. Joseph, J. Ryan, C. Miller, C Dawe, and B. Cray. 2022. Acoustic vector sensor analysis of the Monterey Bay region soundscape and the impact of COVID-19. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 151:2507, https://doi.org/10.1121/10.0010162
- Basan, F., J.-G. Fischer, and D. Kühnel. 2021. Soundscapes in the German Baltic Sea before and during the Covid-19 pandemic. Front. Mar. Sci. 8:689860. doi: 10.3389/fmars.2021.689860
- Bertucci, F., D. Lecchini, C. Greeven, R.M. Brooker, L. Minier, S. Cordonnier, M. Rene-Trouillefou, and E. Parmentier. 2021. Changes to an urban marina soundscape associated with COVID-19 lockdown in Guadeloupe. Environmental Pollution 289:119898, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2021.117898.
- Breeze, H., S. Li, E.C. Marotte, J.A. Theriault, J. Wingfield, and J. Xu. 2021. Changes in underwater noise and vessel traffic in the approaches to Halifax Harbor, Nova Scotia, Canada. Front. Mar. Sci. 8:674788. doi: 10.3389/fmars.2021.674788
- Dahl, P.H., D.R. Dall'Osto, and M.J. Harrington. 2021.Trends in low-frequency underwater noise off the Oregon coast and impacts of COVID-19 pandemic. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 149:4073; https://doi.org/10.1121/10.0005192
- De Clippele, L.H., and D. Risch. 2021. Measuring sound at a cold-water coral reef to assess the impact of COVID-19 on noise pollution. Front. Mar. Sci. 8:674702. doi: 10.3389/fmars.2021.674702
- Dunn, C., J. Theriault, L. Hickmott, and D. Claridge. 2021. Slower ship speed in the Bahamas due to COVID-19 produces a dramatic reduction in ocean sound levels. Front. Mar. Sci. 8:673565. doi: 10.3389/fmars.2021.673565
- Fournet, M.E., L.P. Matthews, and C. Gabriele. 2021. The impact of the “Anthropause” on the communication and acoustic habitat of Southeast Alaskan humpback whales. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 149(4):A136, https://doi.org/10.1121/10.0005328
- Gabriele, C.M., D.W. Ponirakis, and H. Klinck. 2021. Underwater sound levels in Glacier Bay during reduced vessel traffic due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Front. Mar. Sci. 8:674787. doi: 10.3389/fmars.2021.674787
- Leon-Lopez, B., Eduardo Romero-Vivas, and L. Viloria-Gomora. 2021. Reduction of roadway noise in a coastal city underwater soundscape during COVID-19 confinement. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 149:652; https://doi.org/10.1121/10.0003354
- Pine, M.K., L. Wilson, A.G. Jeffs, L. McWhinnie, F. Juanes, A. Scuderi, et al. 2021. A Gulf in lockdown: how an enforced ban on recreational vessels increased dolphin and fish communication ranges. Glob. Change Biol. 27:4839–4848. doi: 10.1111/gcb.15798
- Ryan, J.P., J.E. Joseph, T. Margolina, L.T. Hatch, A. Azzara, A. Reyes, B.L. Southall, A. DeVogelaere, L.E. Peavey Reeves, Y. Zhang, D.E. Cline, B. Jones, P. McGill, S. Baumann-Pickering, and A.K. Stimpert. 2021. Reduction of low-frequency vessel noise in Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary during the COVID-19 pandemic. Front. Mar. Sci. 8:656566. doi: 10.3389/fmars.2021.656566
- Sertlek, H.Ö. 2021. Hindcasting soundscapes before and during the COVID-19 pandemic in selected areas of the North Sea and the Adriatic Sea. J. Mar. Sci. Eng. 9:702. https://doi.org/10.3390/ jmse9070702
- Thomson, D.J.M., and D.R. Barclay. 2020. Real-time observations of the impact of COVID-19 on underwater noise. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 147:3390; https://doi.org/10.1121/10.0001271